Friday, October 3, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Children's Hospital

I was actually a bit sad to leave today. It was hard to be too sentimental about it as I was carrying a screaming child out. Max had his dialysis line removed this morning! Praise Jesus!!!

We were received on time, and all went well in that department. That is to say, that everyone seemed to expect us, and we were on the schedule after all. By the time we got back to the pre-op waiting area, Max was beginning to show his signs of anxiety. As I carried him into the OR room, and laid him on the table, he was in full on anxiety attack. The doctors got him under anesthesia, and I left. He was brought back to us within about 30 minutes, but he was not fully awake. He was screaming, loudly. He was not consoled very easily, and then when I finally did get him settled, the nurse came to remove the IV line, and that was the end of his calm. The doctors and the nurses agreed that much of his screaming was in regard to his dislike of the hospital setting, and they agreed that we should just go home as quickly as possible. The nurse ran down the discharge orders, as sent us out with him still screaming.

So, as I walked out the door of Children's Hospital for what will likely be the last time in 2008, I was hurried, but still a bit sad.

Sad because I know that every child in there has a story, and every parent is hurting! We are lucky. We get to take a fully healthy child home. Not all parents there will ever get to do that.

I will be forever grateful to the countless Doctors and Nurses who helped Max recover! The care we received at Children's was outstanding!

I am continually blown away by the outpouring of love and support we have received from people all over the world. To the people of CTK, Thank you! Thank you for your prayers, your food, your gas cards, and your encouragement.

Max will have a check up in 3 months, and really all that is left for him is to continue to heal, and to get off the blood pressure meds.

Thanks Again!
Shannon

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about Max's condition the day after our first child arrived into this world. Every morning I would check the blog to see how things were going and to pray for your family and Max's recovery. I am so happy to see that you are all doing well and that the Lord has answered our prayers. Jesus is such an unbelievable healer and provider! Our love and prayers will be with you always!
-Tim, Elizabeth (Gray), and Harrison Lowry

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! God is good!
Terri and Charles

Anonymous said...

Sam and Shannon,
We're so relieved to hear that Max is home. I'm sure that leaving the hospital was the sweetest goodbye you've ever said. Keep us posted on his progress.

Kristi McKnight
Bakersfield, CA

Anonymous said...

Sue and I are so thankful to God for carrying you through this whole ordeal and we will are excited that Max's is healed and now can go back to being a healthy happy liitle boy.

We love you!!!!!
The Roe family

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for the continued updates on Max. I'm very happy that he's saying goodbye to Children's Hospital!

Hopefully his anxiety will ease, in the coming days!

Dave from Ottawa, Canada

Anonymous said...

Shannon - your Canadian cousins send love to each and everyone of their American family! Young Max has been through an immense medical trial, and we trust and pray that his recovery will continue. Your mother Nancy was kind enough to update your Vancouver family. All the best in your efforts.

Proud Military Brat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Proud Military Brat said...

Let me try this again. It must be to early for being emotional. LOL I posted a comment and realized it made no sense at all! I am very glad that Max has found healing. My parents go to CTK and I go to Cornwall. I heard about Max and immediately sent out emails for prayers. I know how weird it is to get connected to a place that involved so much pain (physically and emotionally) but I understand it. I felt sad the last day of radiation and to be leaving all the friends I had made. Not only the doctors, nurses and radiation tech but the wonderful people I met in the dressing rooms. So, it's normal. :o) God bless you. Now the pain ends and the joy begins.

Shari said...

James and I are so glad to hear that Max is going home! God has certainly poured a great measure of blessing on your family (poured, pressed, shaken and running over!). Praise the Lord. We look forward to seeing Max in AdventureLand sometime soon. Shari

kschei said...

Congratulations Max... and congratulations to Levi, Shannon and Sam! Praise God! We will keep posted on Baby Drew... thanks for introducing him to us.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I'm so happy Max is doing better now. Thank you Jesus! Thank you Lord! May the Lord bless you Max and all of your family.