Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Step Closer

Yesterday, Max and I drove down to Seattle for Dialysis. The doctors believe that may have been his last Dialysis!!! Monday morning we have to get his blood drawn to check his kidney function. They are letting us do that here, in Bellingham, since they believe that the results will show that he doesn't need any more treatments. If he does need one more Dialysis treatment, we will go down and do that, but the fact that the doctors are letting us get the blood draw in Bellingham says a lot!

Max has an appointment on Thursday in Seattle with his Nephrologist (kidney doctor) I am told that at that appointment we will discuss his follow up plan including when they will remove his catheter. He will have it removed in Seattle as they will have to put him under general anesthesia to remove the line.

This whole illness has a very surreal feeling to me. At times I cannot believe what we have gone through, and at others, it feels like since we have been at home, nothing has changed. Now that the worst is over, my emotions have begun to jump wildly about. One moment I am in shock, the next I am asking God why I am blessed enough to have been born here in America where my kids can get this wonderful health care and live, and another child in another country would have died.

Please pray that Mondays blood test confirm the doctors belief that Max doesn't need anymore Dialysis!!! Please pray that God is glorified in all that we have been through.

Thanks,
Shannon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God!

Thanks so much for keeping everyone updated. We will continue to pray for good news on Monday.

Love,
The Watters Family

Anonymous said...

This is more great news.

I am very happy that Max is on the road to recovery. You seem like a very nice family, and I am thrilled that there is so much light now at the end of the tunnel!

Best of Luck to Max and the family as you continue this chapter in your life, and he continues his recovery!

Best Regards, Dave from Ottawa Canada.

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

I believe you (AND SAM) will need a lot of rest as Max recouperates. Often as parents, we delay our own feelings of deep despair and use all our energy to "be there" for our children. What invariably happens when things start to settle down, often when the child is fully recovered, is that you then start to deal with those feelings that were rightfully repressed when the child needed you.

If you start to feel cranky in any way, be safe assured it's delayed trauma

It's a perfectly natural process, and allow yourself to go through it, mindful of God... I nearly lost my son to a hereditary condition he has; it was diagnosed as a mild case when he was a toddler, so the turn he had earlier this year came as a surprise for both my husband and I, and the medical profession.

A month later after he had recovered, I fell into a deep depression and didn't know why. Being an "up" sort of person, I immediately paired up this process with the other incident I had with my son when he was born, he was ill for three weeks. Definetely delayed trauma.

Give those feelings to God, and He will hold you up and take you through it...GO EASY ON YOURSELF.. and commit your child into His capable hands. He will restore Max to full health, and only good can come out of it. My relationship with my son runs deep; I have been there at his best and worst moments, holding his hand.

I am delighted to read of Max's rapid recovery and will continue to pray for you all.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

This is great news,Sam and Max and family!

I'll be thinking about Max on Monday and hoping you guys can get to a real normal home life again.

You are truly blessed that you had your faith to carry you through this trying time.

Anonymous said...

We'll keep praying. Shannon, I know how difficult it is to ask for help. But, ask for help, there are lots of seniors at CTK who would love to lend a helping hand.
Terri and Charles

babydrew said...

We are so happy for Max and your family. That is such terrific news. We will continue to keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Taw, Stacey, Ali, Lexi, and Baby Drew

Anonymous said...

Sam & Shannon,

I am thrilled beyond word to read about the progress of little Max.

Both of you have been brave and deserve a break.

We have a 9 year old soon. LAst year he got a intestinal infection which went into a hospital stay and i know as parents how difficult it is to see your kid go through a hospital.

God bless you all and here's wishing Max all the best for the future.

Best,

Keyshore

Anonymous said...

That is such great news. You all continue to be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

WAHOO!

(the raske's)